An often missed coastal town in South Carolina is the historical city of Beaufort, perfect for a weekend getaway with the family. You are going to want to explore this great spot on foot and from the water. Those of you who are looking for a family fun destination that has a strong focus on the outdoors will love a weekend getaway to Beaufort, SC.
How to Get to Beaufort, SC
Beaufort is located on the coast of South Carolina, along the Beaufort River nearly halfway between Charleston and Savannah. If you look at a map, you will realize that island surroundings make this city almost completely encompassed by waterways. The most direct way to get there would be off of I-95 connected to some smaller state highways. You may also enjoy a coastal road trip through South Carolina, and can string together a series of cities and towns by utilizing SC-17. The nearest airports can be found in Savannah, GA or Charleston, SC.
When to take a Weekend Getaway to Beaufort, SC
You will find Beaufort to be quite busy in the summer months, even during the week. However, if you choose to visit in the shoulder seasons of spring and early fall, you will still experience wonderful weather with sleepier streets and less crowded restaurants. The lesser humidity will also make spring and fall a great time to visit for a weekend getaway to Beaufort, SC.
Where to Stay during your Weekend Getaway
Stay in the immediate downtown area if you want to be able to walk everywhere with ease. Parking can get tricky if you stay outside of downtown Beaufort. The city was designed along the waterfront and there is no shortage of small inns along the tree lined streets. If you do a weekend getaway to Beaufort, SC as a family look into the Best Western Sea Island Inn, which is directly across from the marina and within walking distance of the shops and restaurants. The rooms are set up for a family and a really nice continental breakfast is offered each morning, as well as free parking for guests. They offer pet friendly rooms and have a quiet curfew of 10 pm, which makes this particularly perfect for families. For a super romantic getaway consider the Rhett House Inn. You can find the chain hotels just a short drive away from the action, too.
What to Do in Beaufort, SC
- Do a carriage tour with Sea Island Carriage Company to learn the history of the city and learn all about the historic homes in downtown Beaufort while you learn your way around.
- Get out on the water with a boat tour from Coastal Expeditions who will give you access to Beaufort in a different way. You will hear all about the development of Beaufort from the sea perspective while you experience the local wildlife.
- Shop the downtown stores filled with local southern treasures and support the small businesses of Beaufort, SC.
- Walk along the waterfront admiring the beautiful scenery and boats in the marina.
- Play on the playground and open green spaces along the waterfront to burn some energy.
- Go fishing: fly casting or sight casting for cobia, reds, jacks, trout and more!
- Ride bikes or go for a run along the Spanish Moss Trail which has 10 miles of paved trails open to the public from dawn until dusk.
- Play golf at a nearby course on Fripp Island or Dataw Island.
- Spend the day at Hunting Island State Park hiking, playing on the beach, and climbing the lighthouse.
Weekend Getaway Eats in Beaufort, SC
To get your Saturday started right, make sure to grab a cup of coffee and pastry or breakfast sandwich at Common Ground and enjoy the back patio waterfront views. This is a great spot for a quick to-go brekkie for a day that’s filled with activity. For a slower, but heartier start to Sunday stop in at Blackstone’s Cafe for a full breakfast. Get there for a special surprise at 8:00 am so you can take part in the pledge of allegiance with the entire restaurant.
The hottest spot for lunch is definitely Lowcountry Produce Cafe. You will enjoy all the lowcountry fare including fried green tomatoes, shrimp and grits, and amazing salads. Don’t worry about the wait-you can wander the market while your tummy grumbles! If you want burgers and water views, head over to The Fillin’ Station across the bridge.
There are so many great restaurants to choose from in Beaufort. Most of them are family friendly and you can find a wide variety of plates depending on your tastes. We opted for casual, but delicious at Q on Bay. We can’t resist great BBQ and the wings and brisket did not disappoint! Another popular family spot is Old Bull Tavern for excellent gastro-pub food.
Make the Weekend Getaway Happen
Weekend getaways can seem impossible during the teenage years. Busy schedules and academic work eat up so much time and there is little free time. Let me encourage you that two nights away as a family can do wonders for building up memories. We all need and a break from the grind. So, whether you are making your way along the southeastern coast of the U.S. or you are a South Carolina resident, make sure to include a weekend getaway to Beaufort, SC.