We have compiled a list of the 12 most valuable items to pack for sailing. Be prepared to have the best experience by having the right gear. Whether you charter with a hired captain or you captain yourself, you will want to make sure you have these valuable items packed and prepped for your next sailing adventure.
Sunsail charter in the BVI
- Soft Sided Suitcase – you will find it incredibly difficult to find storage for hard-sided suitcases on a sailboat. With limited storage, most of it in the floor containers, you will not have space to store large suitcases.
- Polarized sunglasses – there’s no way to escape the glaring sun while you’re out on the water.
- Clothespins – out on the water it’s difficult to get things dry so you’ll want these for hanging towels, swimwear, and clothing to dry out in the winds while you sail.
- Snorkel mask – unless you want to use the ones the boat provides (ick), but don’t bother bringing your own fins.
- Reef safe sunscreen
- Quick dry microfibers towels
- Dry bag/Dry phone case for clothing, shoes, camera and phone
- GoPro or other underwater camera
- Sweatshirt for when the sun goes down and the breezes blow
- Water sandals or water shoes
- Powerbank to charge all of your electronics
- Biodegradable body wipes because you may not be able to shower every day
Blue Water Sailing Charter in Greece
Sailing in Greece will likely warrant the need for a good waterproof jacket as the winds are stronger and therefore you will experience more splash. You may also want to consider deck shoes-I broke my pinkie toe while walking barefoot on deck and losing my balance. Make sure you have local currency to tip your skipper and for other services like water tank fill-ups and fuel purchases.
Pack Well to be Prepared to Sail
Your sailing adventure will be so much more fun if you have packed the right gear. Whether you are out on the seas for just a few days or you’re blessed enough to spend long-term time on the boat, you will want to be prepared. It is easy to forget things or need to replenish, but purchasing items at marinas can get pretty expensive and supplies are limited. You will notice that I don’t have a reusable water bottle on this list. We did carry them, but found that there were not adequate or safe places to get clean drinkable water. We opted for large bottled waters or gallon jugs to get us through.
Worry Free Sailing
Space is limited so you want to keep things simple when you’re packing for your sailing adventure. However, you want to make sure you have these top 12 items so you sail, snorkel, and soak up the sun completely worry free!